Registrar FAQ



When is the last day to drop without a grade of "W" or register for a class?

Please refer to the Academic Calendar.

How do I drop a course or register for a course before the deadline?

1. Obtain a Drop/Add Form
2. Complete the Form.
3. Have it signed by your advisor and the professor of the course. Professors keep up with students that drop so that they can allow other students into the course.

When is the last day to drop with a grade of "W"?

Please refer to the Academic Calendar.

How do I drop a course after the drop date?

Use the Drop/Add Form. You must obtain the signature of your advisor and the professor of the class, if you are an athlete you must acquire a signature from the NAIA compliance director. It costs $10.00 to drop the course. Bring the drop slip to the Registrar’s Office for processing. You can then print an updated schedule from your student portal.

My schedule states that I am still enrolled in 18 credits even though I withdrew from a three credit course with a grade of “W.” Why is it not 15 credits?

Even though you have officially dropped the course with the grade of “W,” you have received a grade. You are still charged tuition for the course. If you add two more demi-semester two courses (4 credits), you will have, for billing purposes, 22 credits. You may not withdraw (W grade) from courses and add more courses without the consequences of an overload fee (over 16 credits is $475 per credit.)

I just withdrew from a three credit course and I’m told I do not have enough credits to be considered full-time. My schedule says I am still registered for 12 credits. What is wrong?

For eligibility purposes (athletics and financial aid), you are not “attempting” a full-time load. Since you received a grade for the course, your schedule will reflect the “W” because it is graded. You are technically now in only 9 enrolled credits. You must have permission from student affairs, the Associate Dean, and financial aid to continue at this reduced load. Consequently, if you have 16 credits, withdraw from 1 credit and add 3, you will be in 18 credits and subject to the overload fee ($475 per credit).

What happens if I just quit attending and don't drop the course?

The professor will submit a grade for you because you are still on the class roster. In most cases the professor submits an ” F ” .

What if the class I want to take is closed?

If the Drop/Add Form is signed by your advisor and the professor of the class, you will be permitted to add the course. Take the form to the Registrar’s Office to register for the course.

What is the normal course load?

12 – 16 credits.

What if I want to take an overload?

The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs must approve overloads for non-Honor students. If you take over 16 credits, the overload charge is $475 per credit.

What is considered full time?

12 credits

What do I have to do to withdraw from the University?

Go to Student Affairs. There is a form there for you to fill out. Several signatures are required. Turn the form back into Student Affairs. They will send it to the Registrar’s Office. Failure to submit the form can result in failing grades.

How do I audit a course?

You must obtain a request to audit a course before the course begins. Audits are billed the same as regular courses.


I need a letter of verification/enrollment/full-time student letter. Where do I go?

You may download the verification form here or come into the Registrar’s Office to complete the form. It can be mailed to your campus box or the company/address you request. We only process these once a day and cannot do these “on the spot.”

I received a letter saying that I am on Academic Probation. Can I take courses at another institution and bring up my GPA?

No. We only accept CREDITS from other colleges. Taking courses elsewhere will not improve your GPA.

I will have thirty credits after this semester ends. Why am I still classified as a Freshman?

Classification is based on your total credits at the end of the last grading period. The classification is as follows:

  • 0 – 24 Freshman
  • 25 – 56 Sophomore
  • 57 – 85 Junior
  • 86 + Senior

I already have a degree from another institution. Can I receive a second degree from St. Andrews?

Yes. Second degree seeking students must complete 30 credits to receive a second degree as well as SAGE requirements and major requirements. Please see the college catalog for complete details.


How do I get a copy of my transcript?

A transcript request may be completed on the following link. We DO NOT accept requests by phone, email or voicemail.

Is there a fee?

Transcripts that are mailed for $14.00 or picked up in person for $10.00 a copy. Of course, no transcripts may be issued if the student has any holds. TRANSCRIPTS ON DEMAND ARE $25.00.

Do you accept requests by e-mail?

No requests are accepted by e-mail or telephone.

Do you fax transcripts?

Yes. However, the student must realize that the student’s record is subject to the exposure of the party to which the fax is faxed. The Registrar’s Office cannot be held responsible for the safe-keeping of confidential information in a faxed document. Faxed transcripts are unofficial.

Can I get copies of my previous college transcripts from your office?

No. Transcripts and other documents from other institutions are the property of St. Andrews and under Federal policy, we are not allowed to issue them. The record from the other institution may not be complete. The current complete, accurate and official record of a student’s academic work is made available by the transcripting institution.


What do I do if I think I received the wrong grade for a course?

The Office of the Registrar can check the accuracy of the grade for you.

How long do I have to complete an Incomplete?

One semester (excluding summer term) or it will be converted to a grade of “F” by the Registrar.

Where do my grades go? To my home, or to my parents’ home?

Mid-Term grades are sent to the student’s Advisor. The student must see his or her advisor for mid-terms. Final grades are sent to the student’s permanent address.

My parents live in two different homes. Is there any way you can send a copy of my grades to both of them?

Currently our system can only handle one permanent address.

How do I appeal a grade?

In the event that a student feels the grade for a course is not a fair evaluation of the student’s effort and performance, the student should make every attempt to resolve the difficulties by discussion with the instructor involved. If such discussions do not result in a satisfactory solution to the problem, the student should seek the assistance of the appropriate program or department chairperson in resolving the problem. If the program or department chairperson is the instructor involved, the student should seek the assistance of the appropriate division chairperson. If this fails, a grade appeal committee will be formed by the program, department, or division chairperson. This committee will consist of three faculty members: one selected by the instructor involved, another by the student, and the third (who shall be chair) by the agreement of the first two faculty members selected. It is expected that the committee will receive full cooperation from all parties involved. To take effect, the committee’s decision must be ratified by the Dean of the University. The committee functions in accord with guidelines in the Faculty Handbook. Any formal grade appeal action involving a committee must be initiated by the student at least two weeks prior to the date for clearing incompletes for the term in which the course was taken. The committee shall reach its decision before the date for clearing incompletes for that term. When special conditions exist, this timetable may be altered by the Faculty Executive Committee.

Major - Change Of Major

How do I declare my major or change my major?

Online! Follow to our declaration of majors page by clicking here.

How do I find out who my advisor is?

Contact the Registrar’s Office at 910.277.5221.


I haven't been a student at SAU for a while and I have not been to another college or university. How do I reapply for admission?

Contact the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.

Transfer Credit

I don't understand my transfer evaluation. Where do I go?

Your advisor or the Registrar’s Office will be able to assist you.

I plan to attend summer school at another institution. How can I be sure these courses will transfer back to SAU?

Pick up an Approval for Summer School Elsewhere Form from the Registrar’s Office. Your advisor must sign the form. The Department Chairperson must also sign the form. Return it to the Registrar’s Office. You must do this before you leave school in the Spring. If you have 60 hours or more, you must take courses at a four-year college, not a junior college. If you are not in good standing, permission may be denied. If you are a senior, your last 30 credits must be completed at SAU. Make sure you request a transcript from the institution you attend and have it mailed directly to the Registrar’s Office. You must make a grade of “C” or better in order for the course to transfer.

Graduation Frequently Asked Questions

When and how do I apply for graduation?

Pick up the “Application for Graduation” form from the Registrar’s Office at the beginning of the semester prior to your final semester. Place it in the Yellow Box on the counter in the Registrar’s Office. Education majors need to apply two semesters prior to your final semester.

What is the fee for graduation?


How do I know if I have met all the requirements for graduation?

After you have turned in your audit, the Registrar will mail you a graduation audit, a student copy of your transcript and an evaluation of your transfer credits, if you are a transfer student. Fill this out with your advisor and then return it to the Registrar’s Office. The Registrar will notify you by mail of your status towards graduation. In some instances, an appointment with the Registrar is needed.

When are grades due for seniors?

Grades are due for seniors at 10:00 a.m. the Wednesday before graduation. As soon as they are processed, they will be mailed to your campus box. Please do not come into the Registrar’s Office to inquire about them. We will be too busy with graduation and processing to help you. If you do not complete the requirements for graduation, you WILL be notified ahead of time.

When is graduation rehearsal?

Graduation rehearsal is the Thursday before graduation at 3:00 p.m. in Avinger Auditorium. If you are a mid-year or Sandhills graduate, you need not attend. You will receive your information concerning the line-up in the mail.

Where is graduation?

The commencement ceremony is held at the DeTamble Library Terrace at promptly 9:00 a.m., Saturday. Students line up at Wilmington Hall across the Lake. In case of rain, ceremonies will be held in Harris Court Gymnasium. In this case, students line up in the small gym.

When is Baccalaureate?

Baccalaureate is held in the P.E. Center at 4 p.m. on Friday. Students need to bring only their gowns; no caps. Students line up in the back hallway of the P.E. Center.

How do I graduate in absentia?

Notify the Registrar or the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Your diploma will be mailed to you.

I finished this summer (or Fall). When do I get my diploma?

Summer School graduates will receive by mail their diploma after the third Thursday in August, for Summer graduates, the Thursday after grades are due in December. The Faculty must meet to confer the degree. If you need a letter stating that you completed graduation requirements before the August date for Summer graduates, contact the Registrar’s Office. Graduates are welcome and invited to participate in the Spring Commencement ceremony. Please notify the Registrar if you are planning on attending.

How soon may I get a transcript with my degree posted?

Transcripts are usually ready for processing the Monday after graduation.

I majored in Biology (Bachelor of Science) and Philosophy (Bachelor of Arts). Why do I only get one diploma?

Only one diploma is issued. If you are seeking a Bachelor of Science degree, you will receive a Bachelor of Science diploma. Your second major (Philosophy) will be posted on your transcript.

How can I order a replacement diploma?

Send in a written request with your name as you would have it appear on the diploma, date of graduation, and the address to which it will be mailed. If your diploma has been damaged, you must return the seal from the original diploma. You may not request a duplicate diploma. There is a $60.00 replacement diploma fee. Mail the request to SAU, Registrar’s Office, 1700 Dogwood Mile, Laurinburg, NC 28352. As soon as we receive the diploma in our office, it will be sent to you.

How long does it take?

Anywhere from two (2) to six (6) weeks depending on the company we order the diploma from.

How do I get my cap and gown?

Caps and gowns can be picked up at the Business Office the Thursday and Friday before commencement.

Do I get my diploma when I walk across the stage?

Yes. Diplomas will be in an attractive diploma cover.

Are there tickets for my family members?

No tickets are required.

Will handicapped seating be available for guests?

Yes. Please inform the Director of Disability Services before May 1, for Spring Commencement that handicapped seating will be needed.

What should I wear?

There is no official dress code; we trust that you will dress appropriately. Receptions will be held outside in the grove, under tents.

When and how do I line up?

Line-up is outside Wilmington hall at 8:15 a.m. You will receive more detailed correspondence about graduation that will give you this information. Be sure to read all correspondence from all campus offices carefully so that you will know what you need to do.

How long does the ceremony last?

About two hours