Please find our Spring 2022 COVID-19 Policies, Procedures, and Protocols here.
COVID-19 Dashboard

Transfer Request


  1. Use your Common Access Card (CAC), DoD Self-Service Logon (DS Logon), or DFAS Account (myPay) to sign in to the milConnect portal application:
  • When the milConnect Home page displays, select Education → Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) from the menu bar.
  • When the TEB portlet page displays, your family members are listed in the table under the List of Family Members section.

Note: If a family member is not eligible for DEERS benefits, and thus is not eligible to receive transferred benefits, the word “ineligible” will display in the Relation column to the right of your relationship to that family member.

  1. To transfer benefit months to a family member, do the following:
  • Locate the name of the appropriate family member in the table.
  • From the Months drop-down list, select the number of months (0 to 36) to transfer.
  • Optionally, enter an End Date in YYYY-MM-DD format.

Repeat this process for each family member.

  1. Once transfer Months have been assigned to your family members, you must submit your transfer request for approval by doing the following:
  • Select the “Post-9/11 GI Bill Chapter 33” radio button in the Select the educational program from which to transfer benefits
  • Select all the boxes in the Transferability of Education Benefits Acknowledgements section to indicate that you have read and understand each statement.
  • Click the Submit Request

If the submission is successful, a Confirmation message displays.

After you have submitted your transfer request, the Sponsor information section at the top of the TEB page updates to show that the Status is now Submitted. The Status Date is blank and will remain blank until a Service Representative approves, rejects, or sets your request to a pending status.

To track the status of your request, you will need to return to the TEB page to check the “Status” in the Sponsorinformation section. Once your transfer request is approved, the status will be updated to Request Approved and the approval Status Date will be set to the date the Service Representative approved the request.

  1. Once your transfer request is approved, your request data is sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). Each family member must first apply for a certificate of eligibility from the DVA before they can use their transferred benefits. Once the DVA receives the request data and VA Form 22-1990E, they will be able to process your family members’ requests to use their benefits. The application for the certificate of eligibility (VA Form 22-1990E) can be found through the Department of Veterans Affairs’ VONAPP Web Site A paper form is also available at Or you can call the DVA for Education Benefits information at 1-888-GIBILL1.
  2. After receiving their certificates of eligibility from the DVA, your family members must provide the certificates to the school.
  3. If your family members do not receive their certificates of eligibility from the DVA before they enroll in school, they should ask the veterans’ certifying official at the school to submit to the DVA an enrollment certification for the academic term.

Tuition funds will be sent direct from the DVA to the school. Children are eligible for the monthly living stipend and/or the books and supplies stipend while you are serving on active duty. Your spouse is eligible for the books and supplies stipend, but not the monthly living stipend, while you are on active duty, because both you and your spouse are already receiving the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH).  If you are not currently serving on active duty, then both your spouse and children are eligible for the monthly living stipend and/or the books and supplies stipend.

Note: If you are an active duty Service member, you and your spouse can continue to use the benefit for up to 15 years after you are last released (discharged or retired) from active duty.  If you are a Selected Reserve member, you and your spouse can continue to use the benefit for up to 15 years after you are last released from your last active duty period of at least 90 consecutive days.  Children can use their benefits until their 26th birthdays.