The brothers, Stuart and Dalton Marshall, St. Andrews alumni, have had a part in helping create the WWI Centennial Commemoration exhibit that opened on April 8 at the North Carolina Museum of History.
St. Andrews alumna, Lisa Godwin, an Onslow County kindergarten teacher, was named the 2017 Burroughs Wellcome Fund North Carolina Teacher of the Year during an awards ceremony Thursday in Cary.
As a teenager she learned how to ride from the greats such as Vladimir Littauer and Jane Marshall Dillon. But more than riding, Peggy McElveen learned about the relationship between the rider and her horse. Instead of just going through the motions, she preferred influence – a skill that has served her well throughout her life.
LAURINBURG, N.C. – The annual Fortner-Ragan awards banquet at St. Andrews honored Dannye Romine Powell with the Ethel Fortner Award for her lifetime of writing. The Sam Ragan Fine Arts Award was presented to short story writer Randall Kenan.
LAURINBURG, N.C. – On Thursday, March 2, St. Andrews hosted a reception for Tower Club members, an annual event for donors who give $1,000 or more to the St. Andrews Annual Fund. The event, usually held in the fall, was postponed due to Hurricane Matthew. Special recognition was given to the Laurinburg Area Campaign volunteer leadership who raised $506,949 for St. Andrews from the local community during the 2015-2016 academic year.
Beacham and Lynn McDougald, co-chairs of the Laurinburg Area Campaign, credit this accomplishment to the key volunteers, Wayne and Debbie Hobbs, Ken Nichols, Ann Todd, Carol Whitehead, Richard Massey, Emily Womble, Lee Howell, and Mac Doubles.
“We worked really hard to meet our goal and hope the new group beat us by a lot this year,” said Beacham.
Guest speaker for the event was Art Chansky, author and sportswriter who has covered basketball on Tobacco Road for more than thirty years. He read from his new book “Game Changers” revealing the controversy surrounding Dean Smith’s recruitment of the first African-American basketball player at UNC from the Laurinburg Institute, Charlie Scott.
Chansky held a book signing and offered one-on-one discussions from his lifetime of knowledge of UNC basketball.
Afterward, the 60 Tower Club members in attendance enjoyed hors d'oeuvres in the Main Belk Room to background music by Sean Moore, professor of music at St. Andrews, on a donated grand piano by two new community and Tower Club members.
Over 200 donors participated in the Laurinburg Area Campaign. The monies raised go toward the St. Andrews Annual Fund which affects every corner of the campus. The fund benefits students with financial aid and scholarships, campus improvements, faculty and staff support as well as new technology upgrades.
Campus President Paul Baldasare also thanked those in attendance and reminded them that tuition, room and board only covers 80% of the cost of educating a student, leaving 20% that must come from fundraising efforts. He then presented the McDougalds with an honorary St. Andrews chair with an engraved plaque acknowledging their leadership in the successful Laurinburg Area Campaign.
Charles and Ann Todd were announced as the new co-chairs for the 2016-2017 Laurinburg Area Campaign.
“It means a lot to me to have an alumna in a leadership role with an incredibly supportive husband who believes deeply in St. Andrews,” said Baldasare.
Ann, a graduate of St. Andrews, recognizes that “the community has always been so supportive of St. Andrews,” remembering those who fought to bring St. Andrews to Laurinburg.
“There are many things to enjoy here and in the fall we can come enjoy football games,” said Ann.
To view Art Chansky's reading, visit our Facebook page. Signed books are still available in our bookstore on campus.
Laurie Nederveen has joined St. Andrews as the MBA Program Outreach Coordinator. In this part time position she will be focusing on recruiting new MBA students for on-campus classes and also the live-via-the-web option. She will promote the program to enhance partnerships with businesses that may wish to serve as a practicum site or sponsor employees for the Master’s Degree in Business Administration.
LAURINBURG, N.C. – St. Andrews will be hosting the last John Calvin McNair Lecture Series on Science and Theology for the 2016-17 academic year on Tuesday, February 21 at 6 p.m. in the Carol Grotnes Belk Main Room.The lecture begins at 7 p.m. with dinner beginning at 6 p.m. The event is free and open to the public with an RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 910-277-5240. Seating is limited.