WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU!
Living in a residence hall is more than just having a room located near classrooms. Your room is a starting point from which you can deal with the academic, social, and recreational challenges and opportunities that will be part of your total educational experience. Your room must contain the necessities that support you to get focused and on your way in the morning and into your studies at night, but it also should be a comfortable place where you can relax. The lists below include items you may want to bring. Realize that you do not have to have all the items. Check with your roommate to see what he or she is bringing so you do not double up on items.
- Suggested Items
- What is already in my room?
- Approved Electrical Appliances
- Prohibited Items
Necessities – Personal Items
Extras or Just For Fun
|Entertainment/Late Night Snacking
Bicycle (must be registered)
Lamp (non-halogen bulbs)
What is already in my room/hall?
All residence halls offer:
- 2 high speed internet connections
- Air conditioning and heating with temperature control.
- 2 extra large twin beds
- 2 desks
- Wardrobe and storage
- Cable TV (Click here for more information)
- Free laundry facilities in each hall.
- Each hall has four to eight suites consisting of six to eight rooms, a large bath and suite lounge.
- Each Suite Lounge contains a community Microwave provided by the school.
No pets are allowed. The only exception to the pet policy is fish that can be maintained in a simple fish bowl. Fish are allowed if electricity is not used to power a filter or lights for the bowl. If pets are found, the student responsible may be subject to a Student Conduct Hearing.
Approved Electrical Appliances for use in Student Rooms
- Mini-Refrigerator – 3.1 Cubic Ft. or less, one per room
- Stereo – one per room
- TV. – one per room
- Small fan – one per room
- Computer System
- DVD, VCR
- Play Station/Nintendo/X-Box
- Hair Dryer – for use in your suite bathroom
- Curling Iron
- Alarm Clock
- Can Opener
- Electric Shaver
- Lamps/Lights using regular (non-halogen) light bulbs
- Power Strips/Surge Protector
- Cell Phone Charger
- Toothbrush Charger
- Air Filter
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Wheelchair Battery Charger
If a student requires an additional item that is not listed, a request in writing may be submitted to the Director of Housing, identifying the item with rationale for its necessity. Written approval must be received prior to placing the item in your room.
PROHIBITED ITEMS FOR RESIDENCE HALL STUDENT ROOMS
- Any appliance not listed above. Specifically, NO cooking appliances – toaster, toaster oven, grill, fry baby, coffee pot, crock pot, etc., to be used in the room.
- Extension cords.
- Decorative string lights.
- Decorative materials hanging over or under lights, ceiling lights included
- Flammable items (candles, oil lamps, incense, halogen lamps, etc.)
- Items that may be flammable or deter in fire rescue may not be hung on walls, ceilings or in doorways in individual rooms, hallways, or main or suite lounges.
- Weapons include, but are not limited to, firearm, BB gun, stun gun, air rifle, air pistol, Bowie Knife, dirk, dagger, slingshot, switchblade knife, blackjack, metallic knuckles, etc. For more details about items designated as weapons by St. Andrews, please contact the Office of Campus Safety and Security, 910-280-2895.