- Four flat and four tall residence halls.
- Flat halls are handicapped accessible.
- Laundry is free for all residents.
- Free laundry, free cable, free Wi-Fi, microwaves in suite lounges, and flexible meal plans.
- Easy access to Buttercup Beach, basketball court, nature trails, fishing, and wildlife watching.
- Each residence hall offers both indoor and outdoor gathering areas for residents to prepare for class or to simply play.
- Most main lounges have pool tables, foosball tables, TV with cable, Wi-Fi, and study areas.
- All resident halls are located conveniently near the gym, cafeteria, Office of Student Affairs, and the bookstore.
- Alcohol is permitted in the rooms of upperclassmen who are 21 yrs. or older in Albemarle and Pate (but not in the common areas courtyards, lounges and halls). Alcohol is permitted in all areas of Orange.
A Resident Director (RD) is the professional responsible for supervising personnel and the total educational and developmental program within the residence hall. This includes supervision of the Resident Assistants (RAs), program development, policy enforcement and facility management. RDs are part of the Student Affairs staff, are college officials, and report to the Dean of Students.
Albemarle – RD Jose Santiago. Flat dorm for upperclassmen, co-ed.
Concord – RD Brandon Standridge. Tall dorm for freshmen gentlemen.
Granville – RD Conor Moloney. Flat dorm for upperclassmen, co-ed. Includes six 2-bedroom, 1 bath apartments with a kitchen.
Mecklenburg – RD Amber Hancock. Tall dorm, sophomore and upperclassmen ladies.
Orange – RD Robert Hall. Flat dorm for upperclassmen over 21 yrs. old, co-ed.
Pate – RD Amber Hancock. Flat dorm for upperclassmen, co-ed. Keyless entry, individual air in rooms and new furniture. Additional charge.
Wilmington – RD Mary Cross. Tall dorm, for freshmen ladies.
Winston Salem – RD Denzel Vaughn. Tall dorm for sophomore and upperclassmen gentlemen.
Layout of Flat and Tall Residence Halls
Dimensions and Sketch of Empty Dorm Rooms
CABLE TELEVISION COMPATIBILITY
Time Warner Cable recently installed a Clear QAM device at St. Andrews. However, older television sets that are not equipped with QAM turners will not be able to access all of the HD channels in the current University line-up.
All televisions on campus must contain a QAM digital tuner to receive the channels. Older analog televisions are no longer compatible with the University’s cable tv system. Most televisions today are digital/QAM compliant, however less expensive or budget televisions may not be. To find out if your television has a QAM tuner, check the specifications in your owner’s manual, or visit the manufacturer’s website.
What is a QAM tuner and how do I know if my TV has one?
A QAM tuner allows your TV to tune to digital or HD channels. Most, but not all, TV’s that were made after 2006 have a QAM tuner built in.
Suggested QAM Tuners:
- You can search online by make/model of your TV or reference your TV’s owner’s manual for specific model information related to what type of tuner is present in your TV.
- An example of what the manual may say if the TV has a QAM tuner: “Built in digital tuner (ATSC/Clear QAM)”, or “NTSC/QAM“
- Additionally, if your TV remote has the (.) or (-) symbol button for easy tuning or is able to display channels such as 5.2 or 5-2, your TV likely has a QAM tuner.
- An example of what the manual may say if the TV does NOT have a QAM tuner: “ATSC / NTSC Tuner” (there will be no mention of QAM)
Examples of TV’s: (Please note this is not a complete list)
- Dynex – Only limited models have a QAM tuner
- Element – Only limited models have a QAM tuner
- Insignia – Only limited models have a QAM tuner
- LG – Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
- Samsung – All models since 2009 have a QAM tuner (fifth digit of model number must be B or higher)
- Seiki – Only limited models have a QAM tuner
- Sony – Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
- Sylvania – Do not appear to have QAM tuners
- Toshiba – Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
- Visio – Recent models have a QAM tuner
- Westinghouse – Some models require QAM tuner activation